Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I hate earworms.  You know, the little snippets of music that replay themselves constantly in your brain, that you wake up humming and go to sleep listening to in the dark?  Earworms are the worst.  For the last couple of days I have been living with "Should I stay or should I go".  It's a forgettable song brought to mind only because of an ad campaign this year.  I don't remember what product or service was being hawked, but the tagline was this lyric.  So why is it my constant companion?

This summer, the sun never left.  For over two months there was not a drop of rain, and nary a cloud in the sky.  Temperatures routinely went into triple digits for days on end and there was no one in the streets or at the market.  Cervinara, and all of Europe for that matter, was stuck in a horrible heat wave.  I know this only second hand of course, because we just got here a couple of weeks ago.  We've enjoyed mostly cool and comfortable weather, thank goodness.  If we had had to suffer through what the local residents did, I don't know that we would have stayed.

However, the sun has become a little bit touchy lately.  It comes, it goes, it rains, it clears up, it's pleasant, it pours.  I think the sun has been listening to the same earworm as I have!  In fact, our house has a microclimate all its own.  I took two pictures this morning, not 10 seconds apart.  In one I was facing north, then I turned around 180 degrees and took another shot.  Here's what it's like in Cervinara today:
This was the sky to the north. 
This was the view to the south. 

I did three loads of laundry this morning, thinking all would be well and I would take advantage of a nice breeze and sunny skies.  By the time I was ready to schlep them all upstairs to the line, it was clear that I could not trust Mr. Sun and I resorted to using my indoor racks to get the drying process started.  Who knows how long it will take, but it's better than trying to outguess the weather gods in this game of "Should I stay or should I go?"  Pazienza!


2 comments:

  1. Earworms? Never heard of such a thing but much better than having an actual bug living in your ear, rain or shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy, don't disrespect The Clash.
    Sincerely,
    Your Brother

    ReplyDelete