Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Nature's Surprises

Today we took advantage of an absolutely gorgeous day to take a walk up into the hills.  This is always one of my favorite ways to spend a couple of hours in Cervinara and today's excursion was no exception.
The rocky cliffs provide an awesome entrance to the hill region and we certainly don't try to venture up there, but it's always an impressive sight that gives me pause. 
We started up at the Mafariello Park area.  Driving through winding roads, the vegetation changes from chestnut and walnut trees to pine trees and low shrubs.  It's very reminiscent of driving into Maine, with the sweet smell of the pine trees redolent in the air.  We always bring jugs up to Mafariello to bring home some of the icy, spring water that is usually in abundant supply.  Today however, things were different.  It must be due to the very hot and dry weather that everyone here suffered through this summer, but the pipe that brings the spring water to the surface brought just a dribble.  Usually water comes pouring out at a couple of liters a second.  I've never seen it with such a pitiful trickle, and I've been coming here since 1973.  But we filled one jug and enjoyed splashing our faces and drinking from the pipe regardless.

The next stop was to take Maria Elena and Josh to the family property where we have part of a mountain with chestnut groves on it.  Again, things looked good, but dry.  Even the notorious spot that always has a pool of muddy water in it (notorious because we got our car stuck there in 2010 and had to call in the troops to pull us out) was just a bit mucky rather than full of water. 

As we stepped out of our car, our noses were met with the unmistakable scent of sheep poop.  Before we heard the bells of the herd, we smelled their contributions to the ecosystem....and it was all over the place!  I was anxious to see those beauties and so we headed down another path to find their grazing area.
They were so sweet and cute, I had to take some pictures.  The shepherd over in the background waved and must have thought that I was one crazy city lady, but it reminded me so much of my time in Greece where we were able to roam around with the sheep and goats, before they got served to us for lunch!
These are moments that make every day enjoyable.  They may seem silly to some, but I find such joy roaming in the hills, dodging the sheep poop, admiring the majesty of our hills and looking forward to tasting our chestnuts.  If we keep our eyes and minds open, we can all find beauty in Nature's gifts. 



2 comments:

  1. Your description of the water pipe dripping reminded me of Jean de Florette!
    Fair season here, so I'll see some corralled prize sheep this weekend in Guilford.
    Take care,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago when I use to spend my summers in Cervinara, at this time of the year when the mountain is full of chestnuts falling from the trees, I use to walk up the hill and see all my friends picking the chestnuts, of course along the road I was aloud to pick some, I would pick the beautiful big ones and take pictures. We had 3 large trees in our property and every mornings I would go under the trees and pick some. I will never forget the great time I had in Cervinara, I still have many friends there which I still keep in touch with facebook and by phone, I hope that some day I will go back there to visit, since I now live in Turin.... A presto.... John M.

    ReplyDelete